Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dengue fever survivor

It started all like this

13 Sep 2010 - feeling very tightness in the stomach. Loss of energy and stamina

14 Sep 2010 - High fever, went to see one clinic doctor and also take Carinox pills suppose for flu

15 Sep 2010 - Extreme high fever - around 39 C , whole body ache, Migraine too. Loss of energy - felt very weak and pain all joints and almost at every parts of the body, including the eyes.

16 Sep 2010 - extreme fever still 38 - 39 C, went to see another doctor. Unfortunately unable to have blood test due to lab closed as it was a public holiday being hari Malaysia

17 Sep 2010 - unable to tolerate the pain anymore. Luckily there was no electricity at Path Lab, so I decided to check in private hospital, the one nearest to my house. I felt and aware that it was so much different from normal fever. Felt like lost of breath and stamina as i gather all my energy to drive to to the hospital.

Unable to tolerate the pain anymore, I opt for emergency ward. The nurses took my blood test and temperature. I remembered asking the nurse how high was my temperature. It was 39.7 C.

18 Sep 2010 - I felt slightly better after the drip.

19 Sep, 2010, the doctor gave me 2 packet of platelet.

20 Sep, 2010, i was told i may discharge if my blood platelet improve. I have been fortunate my condition improves and was allowed to discharge on 20 Sep in the afternoon.

During my stay in the hospital 3 nites for 4 days , it has been very sad for me. I cried a few times as It was very painful each time the nurse poke the needle on my arms or hands for blood test. I woke up very early in the morning as I couldn't really sleep very well on the narrow hard mattress in the hospital. I woke to meditate almost all the morning I was there. True enough my fast recovery surprised many friends and acquaintances.

I remember asking the doctor the first question when I checked in there. "What is the percentage of I can stay alive?" of which the doctor told me , "As you have arrived here, things should be okay."

All I know was that the pain from dengue fever was thousand times more severe than the normal fever. The germs from the dengue really suck one's blood till I bleed when I spit. Even the colour of the urine turns dark brown.

The post discharge days, I felt very dizzy . These dizziness will normally last one week after discharge. This was told to me by a patient's daughter in-law who was next to my bed in the hospital. It is already 10 days after I discharge, I have gained back my normal health. Wish that it has never occurred to me. However I also acknowledge, there are still many diseases which are much was than mine. Thanks God I have survived. Please give me good health till the end of my life.

3 comments:

  1. My mom had dengue recently. It was detected very early stage when her so-called flu didn't get better after a few days. She took papaya leaf juice.. a small cup a day to increase the platelet level - it works. And she was advised to drink ORS or 100PLUS. So you might want to pass this tip on to others.

    Thank god, my mom was not admitted, and she recovered in two days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you that you had the idea of posting this, i have been searching everywhere for a diary/story of someone surviving Dengue fever but it is obviously not a big topic
    you sir have basically done half of my year 9 science assignment

    thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lovable Hermit,
    Thank you for sharing this.
    I'm a documentary producer in Kuala Lumpur and now in the midst of doing a doco on dengue. I'm looking to interview dengue survivors on camera for the show. We are hoping people like your goodself can share with others the "HELL" you went thru with the disease. If you won't mind sharing on camera I would be very pleased to hear from you.
    I can be contacted at: benedictgerard@gmail.com 013-392 2930

    Thanks.

    GERARD

    ReplyDelete