Sunday, January 25, 2009

Solitude vs. Lonely

According to dictionary, solitude means being alone when this is peaceful and pleasant to the mind. Eg He enjoyed his moments of solitude before the pressure of the day began. The emphasis is on the state of mind.

When I was searching for differences between these two words, I come across this blog

http://thoughtsofwizard.blogspot.com/2006/11/solitude-vs-loneliness.htm

which he wrote so beautifully that I read several times. ( more than 3 times) . He explained it so clear and meaningful - sound like from the heart which I have had experienced all that before.

Solitude goes together with the feeling of bliss. For eg.. all my life I dread Chinese New Year because I have to meet up with my relatives, and they being aunties and uncles will query you with lots of uncomfortable questions. The questions that indicate to me that I am are very much left behind in financial and relationship aspects.

Financial aspects meaning to have own a certain kind of property, travel to a minimum of a few countries for holidays outside Malaysia. Relationship aspects would mean to get married or at least to have a steady partner at a certain age. Though crowded with so many people I did feel lonely then.

Now as I am on my own now, I feel so bliss by not have to face to face with them anymore. Nobody to bother what I wear or how I look like, how much I earn, potential date line for marriage. No more nasty remarks, insinuation or any humiliation. Being by myself, celebrating alone is solitude to me. I cook whatever I like to eat. Sleep whenever I like to sleep. No more superstitions beliefs needed to observe. I enjoy being in the presence of my own company.

In summary when there is a presence feeling of sorrow or pain be it either alone or being in a crowd this is called loneliness.

On the either hand solitude means to have the feeling of bliss, attainment and satisfaction. in the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment