Sunday, April 26, 2009

Health Benefits Of Being Vegetarian


A vegan friend asked me this morning if I ever want to be a vegan. I told her I do not know. In spite of being an omnivorous myself I acknowledge and aware of the benefits of vegetarian diet.
Research from all over the world has corroborated the health benefits of vegetarian and non re-processed diet.
These include :
1. Reduction of cardiovascular disease by lowering cholesterol level
2. Reduction of cancer risk including colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer.
3. Reduction of diet-related diabetes and hypertension.
4. Reduction of health problems related to obesity.
5. Minimising the development of kidney and gall stones.
6. Minimising the development of osteoporosis through high dietary acidity and calcium loss in
urine.
7. Minimising the chances of food poisoning
8. Avoid consuming too many dairy products because they are difficult to digest abd can cause allergic symptoms such as asthma and eczema (itchiness on the skin)
Of course besides these, there are other long lists to practise for a healthier life style eg Fasting & Detoxification, Cooking Utensils & Methods, Antioxidants etc which i shall blog some other day.

2 comments:

  1. I am not so sure about your facts.

    I have a friend who is on vegetarian diet for the past 25 years went for a by pass surgery a few years back.

    After traveling to Italy several times; in general, I noted that the Italians are very healthy people. They eat more meat than all of us do in Malaysia.

    I realize it is the way they cook their food. It has very little to do with vegetarian or non vegetarian. More important, it is the way of life.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous,
    Vegetarian diet is only of the many factors determining our health. It is not a panacea for all diseases. Yes, method of cooking is certainly has some effect. Life style, quality of air, etc all play a part.

    ReplyDelete